Want to earn your Instrument Rating?
Adding an Instrument Rating is an invaluable addition to your Private Pilot Certificate regardless of whether you intend to progress through to becoming a Professional Pilot. The Instrument Rating dramatically improves your flying ability and aeronautical judgment. You will be taught how to fly in fog, clouds, and with limited visibility. You will also develop the knowledge, skills, and judgment required to safely and confidently evaluate adverse weather conditions together with learning to maneuver the helicopter by sole reference to its instrumentation.
Official Instrument Training Requirements (FAA)
- Hold at least a current Private Pilot Certificate with a Helicopter rating.
- Be able to read, speak, write and understand the English language.
- Show evidence of U.S. citizenship or receive approval from TSA to begin training.
- Receive flight training and logbook endorsements from an authorized Flight Instructor (at least 15 hrs of instrument flight training from an authorized Flight Instructor in helicopters).
- Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized Instructor certifying that a course of training or home study has been completed.
- Meet the following aeronautical experience requirements, a total of 40 hours actual or simulated instrument time (including at least 15 hrs of flight instruction in helicopters). Have logged at least 50 hrs of cross-country flight time as Pilot-In-Command of which at least 10 hrs must be in helicopters.
- Pass a written knowledge test (multiple choice questions).
- Pass a practical flight test and oral exam with an FAA Examiner.
- Hold at least a Class 3 Medical Certificate.
How much will it cost to get my Instrument Rating?
The cost can vary depending on the number of hours you require to achieve competency. Training is done in our Robinson R-44. An estimate of the cost assuming the required FAA hours is as follows:
|Number of Hours / Items||Cost|
|Dual Instrument Training - 40 Hours (R-44)||$21,000|
|Ground School - 30 Hours||$1,350|
|Books & Supplies||$260|